Wednesday 29 June 2016

THE HILDA JUMPER

In 1988 I knitted my first vintage jumper from a pattern Mum had written on scraps of paper from which she knitted her own in the 1940's.  Later that year I found the original pattern in a book in the library and, although I always called my jumper "The Hilda Jumper" for obvious reasons, I was delighted to learn that the original pattern was called "Jersey With A Soft Bow".



This jumper is still going strong after all these years and, amazingly, still fits me - the joys of feather and fan stitch!  I wore it to the first 1940's event that my husband, Bob, and I went to in 2008 and it drew the attention of a re-enactor.  That lady, whose name I never took, begged me to start a website but, as each item can take four week or more to knit, depending on work and family commitments, it would take years to build a stock so I began my Hilda's House Facebook page a few years later.

I knitted a black short sleeved version which I donated to a fundraising day for Help For Heroes at Fox Vintage in Buckingham.


I hope to find time to knit a short sleeved version for myself but the biggest decision is what colour!

A Hilda Jumper is also now in Australia which would please my Mum enormously as she always wanted to visit that country.  My lovely customer there, Linda, has kindly agreed that I may share her picture.  Thank you Linda.



No comments:

Post a Comment